Sunday, January 30, 2011

What do you say?

The other day we were at the store and a complete strabger walks up to me and begins to tell me how cute I look. WHich was greatly appreciated. Noone ever feels cute 8 months pregnant. She then goes on to ask "When are you due? What are you Having? ISn't that so exciting? I bet you can hardly wait.. etc....." As soon as there is a 2 second pause in the conversation Tucker looks up at her and says, in a way only a 4 year old can. "Our baby is going to die." I can't even begin to describe the jumble of emotions that I felt. Guilt for playing along with the conversation. I tend not to tell strangers. It's like when I go to the dentist and they ask all the same questions, I don't want to sit in the awkward silence after I tell them while they clean my teeth not having the faintest idea what to say to me now. News like that tends to put a damper on the conversation real quick. I also felt horrible for the lady because now she is in an awkward situation. There just is no right thing to say when someone says as matter-of-fact as can be that their baby is going to die. And yet next time a stranger asks me all of those questions will I look at them and say well yes we are excited but we don't expect her to live. Probably not. After she is gone and people ask me how many kids I have I will say 4 but one went back to Heaven and is waiting for us there. It is just different to talk about it with people I know. Why burden a starnger with that. I don't think in this situation there is a right or wrong thing to do. We just handle it the best we can. And isn't that all that is ever asked of us. To do the best we can.

1 comment:

  1. You nailed it Kassey. I hope you take this in the positive way it's meant because I really don't know you that well only that you seem to be a great person. But I think if I knew you better we could be great friends. It seems we have a lot that is similar...so far as I can tell. I know the awkward moment you're describing all to well. I am praying for you guys and think of you often. Hugs. Beckah

    ReplyDelete